Jimmy’s Main Points
- We Built That City
- Focusing to Expand
- Better Than Being Righteous
- The ‘let us’ of Genesis 11:4 echoes the ‘let us’ of Genesis 1:26. How is the second ‘let us’ like that of the first? How do they differ?
- Where is God present in Genesis 11? Where is he ‘absent?’
- What is significant about the work of the people of Babel and the ‘work’ of Abram in Genesis 12?
- What are the benefits of God’s covenant with Abram? What is the missional aspect?
- What are the benefits of God’s New Covenant with us? What is the missional aspect?
- Do you agree with the statement, ‘…redemptive grace is always unexpected?’
- Why is a story of God’s great covenant promise to Abram (Genesis 12:1-9) immediately followed by a story of failure by Abram (Genesis 12:10-20)?
- Think about the different areas of your life: marriage, family, career, community, etc. Are you building them with or without God?
- Survey the NT and look at the references to Abraham. Meditate on what is highlighted about this man and his faith.
- Juxtapose this with the stories of Abram/Abraham’s failures (Genesis 12:10ff; 16; 20). Reflect on how God’s grace is greater than our sin/flaws/lack of faith