Main Points of Dave’s Sermon
- A “Rags to Riches” Story
- Where is God?
- The God With a Name
- How can the story of Israel’s history of going from “Riches to Rags” help us?
- Quote from Dwight L. Moody concerning Moses:“Moses spent his first forty years thinking he was somebody. He spent his second forty years learning he was a nobody. He spent his third forty years discovering what God can do with a nobody.” Spend some time talking about this statement. Do you agree with it? If not, why not? If yes, how is this useful to you? A believer? An unbeliever?
- Exodus 2:23-24 declares that God heard the groaning of the people of Israel and he remembered his covenant. How would this have been comforting to the Israelites at this time in history? In later periods of history? Is this comforting to you? Why or why not?
- Dave talked about the significance of the name YHWH. In what ways does the name implying God is the God who is here impact your life?
- If you journal, look back and reflect on the times that God has showed up in your life.
- Take some time to think of ways to fill in the blank in the statement, “I AM _________” when referring to God. For example, when God is saying, “I AM”, he is saying “I AM HERE” or “I AM YOUR FATHER”, etc.
- Visit with your family about their fears of being alone. Great opportunity to think about the need for the presence of God.
- Do a word study of ‘remember’ or ‘covenant’ throughout the Old Testament in your personal study. Meditate on the references to God towards his people.