Context: The Hebrew nation is at the edge of the Promised Land
Two generations represented, the Exodus the Conquest generations
603, 550 men; 603, 448 die in the desert and fail to reach the Promised Land
Jimmy’s Main Points:
- Spend some time discussing the story of the Israelites in the desert and the previous two sermons based in Numbers. What ideas has Jimmy presented during his two sermons that have challenged and/or encouraged you in your trusting in Christ?
- Jimmy made this statement: “When lack of belief wins, I save myself.” Spend some time discussing this thought. Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
- Read the story surrounding the statement in Mark 9:24. How does this idea of ‘imperfect faith’ resonate with you?
- D. L. Moody spoke of three different types of faith: struggling, clinging, and resting. He stated that at some point in every believer’s life they deal with each of these. What type of faith characterizes your life right now?
- In what areas is the “numbing sameness of everyday life” enticing you back to sin?
- Think about the stories and The Story. How has this sermon series challenged your understanding of the Bible, God, Jesus, etc.
- Look at the painting “The Shadow of Death” by Holman Hunt http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shadow_of_Death Just like the story of the Hebrews in the desert paints a picture that tells a much bigger story, this painting does the same. Reflect on all that this painting says without explicitly saying anything.
- Read Numbers 11-14; Psalm 95 & Hebrews 4. How did the Psalmist understand the events in the desert? How does the author of Hebrews understand and apply the Israelites story in the desert?
- Start reading a good book that ties the stories of the Bible together to highlight the One Story of God’s Work in Christ. Here are two really good introductory books in this genre. The first is a shorter, concise overview. The second is a bit longer, but, originally taught in a Sunday School class, so very accessible.
- God’s Big Picture: Tracing the Storyline of the Bible by Vaughn Roberts
- According to Plan: The Unfolding Revelation of God in the Bible by Graeme Goldsworthy