Jimmy’s Main Points
This is Joshua’s farewell address to Israel challenging them to put aside other gods and serve the true God alone. We face many of the same challenges today.
- Role of History
- Today’s Temptations
- Understanding Serving
- What is significant about Joshua reminding the people of God that their story fits into God’s story?
- In what ways had God been at work in the lives of the Israelites?
- Are you surprised that the Israelites still had ‘gods’ in their homes?
- Do you resonate with the statement that the temptation is always there to set something up in opposition to God?
- Discuss the statement: Idolatry is taking a good thing and making it an ultimate thing.
- What are some modern-day idols for you?
- What does it mean for you and your household, we will serve the Lord? First, what did it mean for Joshua and his hearers? How does that apply to you and your family?
- Do you have any friendships with ordinary people that don’t fit the norms of “church life?”
- What kind of things do you fear about being willing to identify with Christ in his sufferings?
- Read Everything You Always Wanted to Know About God by Eric Metaxas
- Sit down with a paper and pen and write the history of your life. Where do you see the fingerprints of God in your history?
- Do a value check. Do yours match Jesus’? Read Matthew 7
- Spend some time on The Voice of the Martyrs website http://www.persecution.com/